A new study from the National Allergy Research Centre shows that only half of those who develop epoxy allergy at work has had the statutory course.
Epoxies are widely used in the industry for adhesive- and surface treatment. However, it is highly allergenic and one must therefore not handle epoxy products before receiving training in how to protect yourself.
The Danish Allergy Research Centre and dermatologists from the Danish Society for Contact Allergy, mapped causes and consequences of epoxy allergy within a workspace environment.
In total, 95 patients were identified as having occupational allergy to epoxy in 2005-2009. Half of them had not received the required statutory course and every third of the workers did not use gloves.
Epoxy allergy was found to be most frequent among factory workers in the windmill industry, painters and people who work with flooring.
More than half of the cases developed an allergy to epoxy in the first year of employment.
In approx. 20% of the cases the epoxy allergy had led to a loss of job or early retirement, as well as economic losses.
The laws which should protect people who work with epoxy, is apparently not always followed, with great consequences for those who develop allergy to epoxy.